5 Most Effective Strategies To Get Kids Develop Healthy Eating Habits
Do you have a toddler at home? Then you must be knowing that getting them to eat healthy foods is one of the biggest struggles. But a nutritious balanced diet is essential for kids to have a healthy physical and mental development. So, despite their unwilling attitude towards eating healthy foods you need to make sure they get all the required nutrients. Caregivers of Child Care Rolling Hills, CA suggest parents follow some effective tips to make your kids develop healthy eating habits.
Some effective strategies to help kids develop healthy eating habits
- Offer Choices : New age kids do not like to be forced to do something. Parents also want their kids to be independent. So, from an early age, they provide their kids with options and encourage them to choose depending on their mood and taste. You should follow the same approach on the dining table also. Offer your child healthy choices on the table. Though the choice between a chicken sandwich with peanut butter and egg salad with vegetables may not seem much, this will give them the autonomy they crave.
- Making their own plate : Sometimes you can allow your kids to take control of their own plate. This is another proven strategy to let them exercise their independence and get them trying new foods. It might take a few tries, but slowly gradually they will also start adding healthy foods to their plates. According to the nutritionists of Preschool Rolling Hills, CA, their meal should comprise of protein, a complex carbohydrate, vegetables, fruits, and milk or other calcium-rich food. So, giving them options within these categories, you can actually keep a control on their nutrition.
- Smart snacking : Snacks are a fact of life for kids as well as adults. But you need to make sure that these snacks are healthy. Keep their snack portions small and avoid giving them snacks two hours before their mealtime. If they are asking for a snack sometime before their mealtime, you can give them a taste of whatever veggies or other ingredients you are cooking with.
- Include your kids while you are cooking : Hands-on experiences are the best things to teach children to learn anything new. So, they may try new foods if they had shared their hands in making that dish. In Child Care Rolling Hills, CA children learn about the concepts of measuring, mixing, and stirring. So they can easily practice these in the kitchen with you. While performing these simple tasks, they will understand how different ingredients come together and prepare a delicious dish.
- Be the example : This is the most important of all. If you want your child to develop any good habit, first you should practice that in front of him. They will observe and absorb the healthy habits you want them to maintain.
Besides following these strategies, you need to be patient and have calm if you are working with a child in developing their good habits. It will not happen in one or two days; it is a long process.